Friday, July 13, 2012

le 13 juillet

Tomorrow is le 14 juillet!
Bastille Day!!
French Independence Day!!!

I'm super excited because I've always wanted to be here on this holiday.
In 1998, I got my plane ticket for the end of July so we'd have one month of travel before school started.  Then, I realized that I'd be missing le 14.  And I also missed the world cup.  (France won that year)  I only missed all the festivities by two weeks.  I was SO bummed.
In 1999, I wanted to stay through July so I'd get to enjoy le 14 then, but my sister went and got knocked up and I wanted to be their for the birth so I had to leave in June.
In 2003, I wanted to come for the month of July, but being a mother, I could only do solo travel during the school year, so I came in May.
In 2010, I wanted to travel with a friend who was in school here and the end of July was when she could travel, so I yet again missed le 14 by only two weeks.
In 2011, I had a business event in Germany, so I could only come to France the week before which happened to be... when you ask?  The end of July!

Three years I've come to Paris two weeks after le 14 and one year I left here three weeks before.  I started to think I'd never be here le 14 juillet.

Yet, here we are in 2012 and in 90minutes, it will be...
LE 14 JUILLET!

I just heard my first firework!!!!!




Team Ranger!

I loved the smell of grass today.  After five years in the desert, it's a beautiful smell!


No comments:

Post a Comment